Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Nephi" NOOOO!!

July 13, 2014
Messer Shimai with Johnson Shimai in front of Fukuoka, Japan Temple
Trying the nihonjin squat like the Japanese do...

With Johnson Shimai at Baskin Robbins on Messer Shimai's 20th birthday

Hello!!
No worries, the typhoon came and went with pretty much no damage whatsoever. Wait, what? Was there even a typhoon? We got a text from the mission home telling us to stay in Wednesday afternoon and Thursday, and to bring our bikes INSIDE, and prepare and everything. So Wednesday morning we were at out flower arranging lesson with our 91 year old investigator, and she was all paranoid about the typhoon. So we hurry and arrange flowers, it starts raining (like misting, barely anything) and she goes, "oh no! it is raining, we much hurry!!"  she tells me to take pictures of my flowers, so I take a picture and my flash was on, and she goes "OH NO! LIGHTNING! LIGHTING! Hurry, I will help you finish!!" She starts stuffing flowers in the flower foam, grabs some scissors and starts cutting stems in a hurry, saying "sensei will help you, sensei will help!" (she calls herself sensei = teacher) It was scary seeing her so paranoid, so we run home (two doors down) bring our bikes into the living room. and start area book dendo. Which is just calling everyone in the area book, seeing if they will meet with us. There were times when the rain would come down at a pretty good slant because of the wind, but only last for about 15 minutes, and then stop, and then start. But it never got crazy and they even let us out of the house on Thursday after our studies. Nothing bad at all! Bit of a let down, I mean we were prepared for this typhoon. We wanted to do some service! But whatever, maybe next time. When the sun was setting the sky went a deep purple, and then changed into red, so that was cool!
Oh man, but it is getting hotter, and the spiders are coming out!! There are spiders EVERYWHERE! Just on Saturday, we were housing and talking about the movie arachnophobia (I have never seen it!) Johnson Shimai's gaze goes from my eyes to my forehead and then all the sudden *SMACK!* Then she sees the look of confusion in my eyes and realizes what she has done..."I am so sorry! There was a spider!! Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!" Ya, whatever Johnson Shimai. That's why we have "companionship inventory" every week so don't go around hitting our companions... ;) 
But the work in Kurume is going on, we are kind of teaching people. Trying our very hardest! Going out and contacting everyday! Oh, GOOD STORY I almost forgot:
So we are meeting with this guy named Nicholas in the Culture Center park recently. He is 67, and from England but married a Japanese woman and has been in Japan for 27 years now. He is always smoking, and is drunk a lot of the times unless we have an appointment, then he is sober. He is very intelligent, teaches doctors at a university and loves reading! But he is very poor because they only call him into work when they need him. So he sometimes makes his own cigarettes, yesterday he was smoking and I notices on the paper "Jesus" "holy" and "Messiah"  I almost asked the guy which poor religion he was smoking, until I saw what no missionary, or Mormon ever wants to see written on a cigarette..." Nephi" NOOOOOOO he has been RIPPING pages out of the Book of Mormon after he reads them and has been rolling them. *palm to the forehead* sighhh...we will work with him.
I love you!! Have a great week, don't worry, I am safe here in Japan!! (famous last words?) 
LOVE YOU!
Messer Shimai

 
Stacking bikes in apartment to be Typhoon safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment